Thursday, October 24, 2013

Happy

"You happy, Mama?"

The last two weeks the 27 month-old girl has peppered me with that question every chance she gets.  She smiles and asks with all earnestness that can be poured into the brief soul searching moment.

"Yes, dear, I'm happy." She sighs and goes about her business, assured that all is right with the world.

"You happy, Mama?"

The words pierce through me, as I frantically try to get through another morning. Sitting in the car, flustered, "No, actually I'm a little frustrated."

Tears immediately flow, as she cries, "Mama, don't scream at me." I am shocked. First, because I couldn't have been any more calm in my response, and second, because I didn't even know she understood what screaming really was!

"You happy, Mama?"

Honestly, no love. I'm overwhelmed, tired, angry, confused, lonely, busy, and everything but happy.  I lie, "Yes, dear, I'm happy."

"You happy, Mama?"

What is happy? The state of feeling pleasure or enjoyment in life or a situation. The emotional intelligence of this toddler is insane. She is able to identify and assess emotions more than most adults that I know.

"You happy, Mama?"

I'm a naturally content person, looking at the positive side of things, trying to rid myself of negative people and influences. So, yes, I'm generally happy. But in those moments, what makes me happy are those three words, someone caring and checking-in on me:

"You happy, Mama?"


No comments:

Post a Comment