Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day


This hallmark holiday is once again upon us and my Facebook page is aglow with sweet well wishes. And unfortunately, so far I’ve received no less than 20 emails from retail establishments with their greetings as well. In theory, I have no problem with Mother’s Day. There should be a day we celebrate the woman who gave us life and then continued to breath life into us for years. The commercialization on the day seriously bothers me and even the founder of Mother's Day, Anna Jarvis, had the same sentiment ("A printed card means nothing except that you are too lazy to write to the woman who has done more for you than anyone in the world") and later tried to abolish the holiday she helped start! 

I do recognize the irony that I did make sure my own dear mother received flowers and chocolate-covered strawberries. She, however, does not deserve them. She deserves infinitely more.

Mothers do not need tokens of love, they simply need love. Mothers do not need flowers on this Sunday in May, they need flowers on a Tuesday in November. Mothers do not need a fancy meal tonight, they need someone to take care of meals on a random number of nights. But in fact, we do not need anything, anything except for our children to be amazing.

To be amazing, kids need to be kind, above all. They need to make the world a better place in whatever small (or big) way that they can.
To be amazing, kids don’t need to be the smartest. They need to be responsible.
To be amazing, kids don’t need to be the best at something or win. They need to see the joy in life.
To be amazing, kids don’t need to be better than others. They need to practice respect and random acts of kindness.
To be amazing, kids don’t have to be perfect. They need to be real.

My job as a mother is not to raise good kids, my job is to help build up amazing adults.


For my mother:

A rose doesn’t represent the love I have for you. It cannot bloom in a way that could capture the way you helped me to bloom. Its colors do not have special significance, nor can the colors highlight the rainbow that you have continued to add to my life. No present would be enough to express the gratitude for the sacrifices you have made for me, for the teachings, for showing me how to love life, for the freedom to be me, for the advice only when asked, and just for always being there. I am most grateful for the fact that my own daughter will get to know you, and as I attempt to follow in your motherly footsteps, perhaps she’ll grow to be an amazing woman like you. I love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment