Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Responsible Adult

As I checked my Facebook account, I laughed when I read the status of one of my friends "having a hard time going to bed at a reasonable hour like a responsible adult should." It was written at 11:21pm, and I questioned what exactly a reasonable hour was! My friend has three little ones under the age of five; so I can imagine that sleep is quite precious, and so is adult time. But more importantly, what exactly is a responsible adult? And how much time is too much to spend on various time consuming blogs, and "social networking" sites?

Today, Fox News published a story that we all knew was coming (and of course, consider the source!): Social Networking Sites Not Just For Friends — They're Also For The Feds So, we all need to worry about how much time we are wasting trying to connect with everyone, and of course, we need to worry about not offending anyone or causing future harm to ourselves with our openness, now, we have to worry about what the federal government finds out about us. Great. I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed.

A responsible adult would probably just skip all of it – and stay in their world without of this grand “connectedness”. How boring! As a quote freak, I’ll add George Bernard Shaw’s thoughts “A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent in doing nothing.” I wonder what he would have put on his blog…

2 comments:

  1. hey! i'm quoted!! :) don't worry i'm almost always irresponsible. I spend way more (WAY more) time than I should doing whatever I want to do after the kids head to bed. Then I'm totally wasted in the morning. Hence - my need for more 'responsible' choices. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This entry made me laugh... I think we DO have to take the risk and make the mistake if the alternative is fear and hiding away from the world!

    I miss you so, girl.

    ReplyDelete